Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wonderful

I was madly searching for the meaning of an arabic word frequently spoken in the kid's channel Baraem. It sounds like "raa'eh or ra'ehah". I went through few arabic dictionaries, online forums and other sources but never get the result. My husband had also asked his Bahraini officemates but no one seemed to understand and said there's no such word! Last week, I asked my cousin & her husband who're last time studying in Egypt. The dunno too! Perhaps we pronounced it wrongly..huhu! But I guessed the meaning should be great, awesome, or other synonyms.

Last night I took an effort by concentrating on a movie titled "Julia" over DubaiOne. I read the arabic sub-title and listened carefully to the conversations. Finally I got the answer! The meaning is "WONDERFUL". I supposed can be used as "AWESOME" as well. This is the spelling of the adjective word "رائع". The usage can be like : كانت ليلة رائعة - Meaning> "it's been a wonderful night". Thus, it is important to know "jawi" alphabet before you learn Arabic because by just pronouncing it (though you think that's the word), people may not understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment